Tuesday, November 6, 2012


 

On Monday, Day 274 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk, I visited Deeside College in Flintshire http://www.deeside.ac.uk/index.php and I received a wonderful welcome from both the students and the staff.


Deeside College is a further education college situated in Connah's Quay, Flintshire, North Wales. In January 2007, the college gained the highest possible grade 1 inspection ratings for its Work Based Learning provision (which includes apprenticeships). Then, the latest inspection in October 2007 repeated this achievement for all aspects of Further Education provision.

With staff  students at Deeside College in Flintshire on Day 274 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

Following Welsh Assembly Government approval, Deeside College and Coleg Llysfasi merged on 1 August 2010. The new institution which is one of the largest in Wales and the UK, provides courses for almost 22,000 students each year, employs over 1000 staff, and has an annual income approaching £40million.

The Deeside College Group of Colleges encompasses four colleges across North Wales; Deeside College, Coleg Llysfasi, Northop College and Wrexham Training. They also have a learning facility with internet access and café at the Futures@Holywell centre, and over 20 learning centres across the local communities of Flintshire, Denbighshire and Wrexham.

A super welcome from students at Deeside College Flintshire on Day 274 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

I thoroughly enjoyed speaking with many students about the courses they are attending and their future aspirations. We also talked about perceptions of charities, disability and deprivation and I am grateful for the honest, open and in-depth conversations we shared during my visit. It was an absolute pleasure to meet the students of Deeside College who made me feel so welcome.

Walking with students at Deeside College Flintshire

My thanks to David Jones, the Principal and Chief Executive for giving his permission for me to visit and to all the staff who assisted in the coordination of the day and for hosting me. I am grateful to the college for covering my visit on their website; http://www.deeside.ac.uk/news/phil-packer-mbe-inspires-at-deeside-college-as-brit-2012-challenge-comes-to-flintshire/ and getting behind BRIT and me.


From Flintshire, I travelled to Yale College in Wrexham http://www.yale-wrexham.ac.uk/ 

The Mayor for Wrexham County Borough 2012/2013
Councillor Ian Roberts who is accompanied by
The Mayoress, Mrs Hilary Roberts

Before I write about Yale College, I must take this opportunity to thank The Mayor of Wrexham County Borough, Councillor Ian Roberts and The Mayoress, Mrs Hilary Roberts for taking time out of their very busy schedule to come and support me at the college.


In 1948, the year of the London Olympic Games, the Mayor of Wrexham served two consecutive terms of office.  This has not happened since 1948 until Councillor Ian Roberts was elected once again this year to complete a second term as Mayor of Wrexham County Borough. A coincidence, but I think a super achievement for Ian to serve a second term like his predecessor in 1948, who shared the same honour, when the Olympics were held in London. Ian and Hilary were delightful company and they spent a great deal of time with the staff, students and I. It was a very warm welcome and a real pleasure to meet them both. They will complete another year of attending over 500 engagements which is remarkable service to their community. 


Yale College is a friendly and vibrant learning community in the heart of Wrexham. Their mission is to: “Provide all learners with the highest quality education and training, foster partnerships and contribute to the social and economic development of Wrexham and the wider community”.

Mr Jasbir Dhesi, Principal of Yale College

I was given a very warm and friendly welcome from Mr Jasbir Dhesi, the Principal of Yale College, who introduced me to his staff who had organised my visit and walk.  Jasbir and his team were superb; they had given a great deal of time to coordinating the support from the Mayor and including the involvement of many students on the walk who were attending differing courses.

Tremendous support from Yale College in Wrexham on Day 274 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

Yale College is open to all members of the community and they strive to help students of all ages succeed and progress into university and employment. This includes local school pupils getting their first taste of vocational training and the majority of post 16 year olds in the local area, who attend to fulfill their further education needs.

Yale is also a major provider of adult training, higher education courses and workforce development for employers to meet both individual ambitions and support the current needs of business and industry. Excellence in learning and teaching is at the heart of all they do at the College and the results, facilities and support they provide attract over 12,000 students every year.

Setting off at Yale College in Wrexham on Day 274 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Yale College and am grateful to everyone for making me feel so welcome and for supporting BRIT and I.

I was unaware until my visits that Yale College and Deeside College, the main two further education colleges for north-east Wales, are to merge. They will come together to form one institution with about 27,000 students and 2,000 staff.
 
It follows other mergers in the Further Education sector across north Wales, which has seen Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor, Coleg Menai and Llandrillo all merge.

David Jones, the Principal of Deeside College has stated that: "This is a really exciting opportunity for the north-east Wales region and our aim is to create a new strong college which fully meets the skills and training needs of individuals and businesses.”

Jasbir Dhesi, the Principal of Yale College has stated that: "We recognise that learners and employers demand and deserve access to the very best resources and learning experiences - a merger of equals will provide the opportunity for significant additional capital investment to further enhance the already outstanding resources across both colleges."

After visiting both colleges it was clear that they have excellent facilities, a wealth of course opportunities and their staff has an abundance of passion, desire and determination to serve young people and their communities.  I wish both Deeside College and Yale College a very successful merger and positive future together. I am sure together they will do even greater things for their students.

My very best wishes,

Phil